North County Regional Water Treatment Plant Control System Upgrade
Operations at the Collier County North County Regional Water Treatment Plant are assisted by its control and information system. The old control system used Siemens/Texas Instruments 555 and 315 PLCs for monitoring and automatic control using remote I/O over a Profibus network. A graphics interface to the plant operations staff was provided by a PC-based SCADA/HMI system using Iconics Genesis software on two operator workstations and a SCADA server. Engineering and operator workstations had reached an age of declining reliability, and the PLC/remote I/O network demonstrated serious performance problems. Carollo was retained by the County to:
- Provide evaluations, upgrade recommendations, and design-build services for the control and information system including concept and architecture, networks, PLC/HMI hardware, redundancy, reporting, and data sharing.
- Replace all existing Genesis SCADA/HMI software with the County standard, Intellution iFix.
- Install a fiber optic based Ethernet network to support communications between all PCs and PLC CPUs.
- Replace existing PLC CPUs with new Allen-Bradley ControlLogix CPUs and completely reprogram all PLC controls, including the nanofiltration and reverse osmosis membrane treatment units.
- Replace the existing process data reporting system with a new Proficy Historian and Xcel Reporter report generation package.