What is biottta®?biottta® stands for biologically-tailored, two-stage treatment approach and is the latest Carollo-developed technology to help municipalities and public agencies cost-effectively treat contaminated groundwater sources to improve local and regional water supplies.
Carollo’s biottta® process uses naturally-occurring bacteria to treat a wide range of groundwater contaminants while eliminating traditional, environmentally harmful waste streams, increasing water recovery rates, and reducing treatment costs.
Five Benefits of biottta®
- It’s Cost-Effective. biottta® exerts low O&M and life-cycle costs due to the low energy demand, high water recoveries, and lack of brine waste.
- It’s Green. biottta® is a low-energy system that eliminates nitrate from the environment rather than concentrating it, which eliminates high-strength brine streams and the addition of salt to a given watershed. It can also achieve water recovery rates greater than 96 percent.
- It’s Robust. Hydraulic and water treatment performance is independent of raw water quality and treatment goals and is insensitive to wide swings in operating conditions.
- It’s Flexible. biottta® can remove multiple contaminants in a single reactor and across a two-stage process. Nitrate, perchlorate, hexavalent chromium, selenate, arsenic, uranium, and many volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can be removed without multiple add-on unit processes.
- It’s Straightforward. biottta® is comparable in design and operation to conventional granular media filtration. In addition, the biottta™ system is highly automated, reducing the need for extensive (and expensive) operator attention.
The Six Steps of the biottta® System
Roll over the six numbered circles to see what happens in each step.
The biottta® system has a two-stage approach that facilitates the removal of multiple contaminants without generating high-strength, high-volume waste.